Do you sell courses with WooCommerce? LearnDash, being one of the best LMS options, and WooCommerce, a powerful shopping cart plugin, can be used together to set up the sale of products and courses on your website. However, both of these plugins are enormous and have a bunch of different options which can be pretty confusing sometimes. Our Ninjas work with these plugins on a daily basis and so we asked them to come up with some tips and ideas about how best to use these plugins together if you want to sell courses and physical products at the same time.[bctt tweet=”Are you looking for new ways to diversify your e-learning business? Discover how to offer additional products along with your LearnDash courses using WooCommerce in this post.” username=””]
In this post, we’ll look deeper into how to offer a combination of courses and products in your e-learning site using WooCommerce and Learndash. If you still haven’t created your LearnDash courses start by checking out the tutorials listed in our previous post and then refer to this post for the next steps.
Why sell both courses and products with WooCommerce?
Selling different kinds of products in your online store is a great way to diversify your business and increase earnings. It also allows course creators to offer more valuable tools and resources to their students that will help them through their learning experience. Depending on your niche, different products will better suit your students’ needs.
In order to give you some inspiration, here are some examples in which different industries sell products and courses simultaneously:
- In the fitness industry workout classes or nutritional workshops can be complemented with the sale of supplements, fitness gear like dumbbells or other equipment, or even paper goods like meal planners and workout trackers.
- Language teachers can create their own workbooks (physical or digital) as a bonus for language lessons.
- Technology-related course makers can offer their students complimentary ebooks or industry-related gadgets.
No matter what you do, there is something you can offer your students to provide even more value to your LearnDash courses.
Creating Product Categories
To help your students and customers best navigate your store, you can add different product categories to your WooCommerce menu. This way you can keep your courses on a separate page from other types of products and guarantee your customers find what they are looking for.
- To create different product categories for your WooCommerce store follow these steps:
- From your WordPress dashboard, select Products and then Categories.
- Under Add New Category, name your category and provide a corresponding slug.
- If you want to create a hierarchy of categories (for example the parent category clothing and subcategory tops), assign your category to a parent category).
- Add a thumbnail image for your category.
Once you have created a new category, you can start assigning products to it. When a product doesn’t have a category, it will automatically be assigned to an “uncategorized” category. To set the category for a product all you have to do is select a product, click on edit and specify the category in the specific section located to the right of the page, as seen in the image below.
Selling LearnDash Courses And Other Digital Products With WooCommerce
To set your website up to sell LearnDash courses and digital products at the same time, you’ll need WooCommerce and the free WooCommerce-LearnDash integration. If you are not already using WooCommerce to sell your LearnDash courses you can follow these steps to get started:
- In your WordPress admin area, navigate to Plugins > Add New
- Select Upload Plugin and upload the WooCommerce-LearnDash integration file.
- Click Install Now.
- Click the Activate Plugin button.
After you’ve installed the integration, you’ll need to set up your WooCommerce store and products to successfully sell your courses. You can do this following these steps:
- From your WordPress dashboard, navigate to WooCommerce and select Settings.
- Navigate to the Accounts & Privacy tab.
- Find “Allow customers to place orders without an account” and uncheck the box next to it. By doing so, your users will require an account to purchase and that account will provide them course access after payment.
- On the same page, check the box next to “Allow customers to create an account during checkout”.
- Enable “Allow customers to log in to an existing account during checkout,” so existing users can return and purchase additional courses.
Then you’ll have to create products to showcase in your WooCommerce store and associate your courses to. For those getting started with WooCommerce, this documentation will guide you to create a product. After products are created you can follow these steps to associate your LearnDash Courses:
- Navigate to the product you wish to associate to a LearnDash course.
- Navigate to the Product Data Section.
- Next to the dropdown menu, check the box for Virtual, to indicate this is a virtual product.
- Open the Product Type dropdown menu and choose Course.
- On the Related Courses field, select the course you’d like to associate with this product.
- Finally, publish your changes.
To add other digital products to your store, like videos, software, printables or PDF workbooks, start by creating a new WooCommerce product and then following the steps below. To get started, you first need to configure settings for your downloadable products. You can do so following these instructions:
- From your WordPress Dashboard navigate to the WooCommerce Tab
- Click on Settings > Products > Downloadable Products
- Then, go to the dropdown menu and select the file download method of choice. You can choose between force downloads using PHP, the X-Accel-Redirect/X-Sendfile in which files are handled by the server, or simple redirects where a link redirects to the file.
- Check the Downloads Require Login checkbox and disable guest checkout if you want users to be logged in to download files. This is recommended for access restriction
- For extra security, you can check the checkbox next to Append a unique string to filename.
Afterward, you can start creating downloadable products with these instructions:
- From the Dashboard select WooCommerce and then Products
- Click on Add Product and select simple products under the product data dropdown.
- Check the downloadable checkbox located next to the product data dropdown menu.
- Options for file, download expiry, and download limit will appear below.
- Give your file a name and then enter the downloadable URL or select a file from the media library.
- To add multiple files to a single product simply click on the Add File button under the first file and repeat the step above.
- You can set a download limit if you want to limit the number of times a user can download a file or download expiry to have the link expire after a set amount of time.
- Finally, save your product.
Selling Online Courses And Physical Products
You can also set up a WooCommerce store to sell both physical products and online courses. To do so start by adding your LearnDash courses to the WooCommerce store following the steps above. Then follow the steps below:
Setting Up Additional Physical Products in WooCommerce
- From your dashboard navigate to WooCommerce and add a new product. By default, the type of product created will be a Simple Physical Product.
- Next, navigate to General. Here you will set the price for your product and sale price.
- Under Inventory select the amount of stock available for each product. You can decide if you want to allow a product to be back-ordered and if you want to display stock status.
- Next, set up shipping methods under the Shipping Tab. There are many WooCommerce extensions available to offer shipping options to your customers.
By following these steps you can successfully add physical products to WooCommerce, along with LearnDash courses.
Use BadgeOS To Boost Engagement To Sell Courses In WooCommerce
Now that you are expanding your e-learning business with LearnDash and other WooCommerce products, it is a great time to implement new techniques to boost customer engagement. Using the BadgeOS WooCommerce Gateway you can reward your customers for course and other product purchases with BadgeOS points. Your students and customers can then redeem their points for additional content or products of your choice.
To find even more extensions you can use to improve your WooCommerce store and sell LearnDash Courses and other products make sure to check out our post on must-have WooCommerce extensions.
Hopefully, the article above has given you all the information you need to start diversifying your WooCommerce store, offering LearnDash courses and other digital or physical products. If you need more helping setting up different WooCommerce products feel free to ask any additional questions in the comments below or contact us.